Personalised for LOCAL students.
Local student means; you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, a New Zealand citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder.
Personalised for INTERNATIONAL students.
International student means; you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, a New Zealand citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder.


Finding accommodation is hard, particularly when you are trying to study. If you need help, email

This information has been provided as a guide only. Melbourne Polytechnic has not visited or endorsed any of the organisations or venues – students need to make their own decision about what will suitable for their needs

Work out your budget

Start by working out what you can afford. The Australian Government has put together a budget planner to help you figure out how much you can afford to rent. Visit the money smart website. Most of our campuses are located within a 10 minute walk of a train line

Different types of accommodation

Shared accommodation

Shared accommodation is a house where you should have your own room and share the rest of the property with one or more other people.

The price of shared accommodation varies but usually costs $180-$260pw and may or may not include bills. Usually, you would be required to pay 2-4 weeks rent in advance as well as a bond of 2-4 weeks’ worth of rent. You should ask for a receipt for any bond you pay and the bond must be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.

Useful links:


Student housing
Student housing is purpose-built accommodation that students can rent while they study.

They all require you to enter into a residential tenancy agreement and lease the property for and agreed length of time.

To secure the accommodation you would need to pay 4 weeks rent in advance plus 4 weeks for the bond. Pricing varies between $165pw - $325pw.

Useful links:

Student Housing Australia

You will live with a local family or individual for a minimum of two months. It is a great way to settle in if you are new to Melbourne.

Your homestay arrangements includes a bedroom, some meals and access to shared facilities in a private home.

For more information go to

Private rental
A private rental is a house that you can rent. Private rentals usually require 4 weeks rent and 4 weeks bond to secure and can be difficult to afford for students who are juggling study commitments.

When entering into a private rental agreement you would sign a lease for an agreed length of time and pay 4 weeks rent and 4-6 weeks for the bond.

Useful links:

Rooming house

A rooming house is a house that is shared by four or more individual tenants who all have their own separate agreement with the landlord. You would have your own room and share all other facilities in the house with the other tenants.

Prices vary between $200-$220pw and upfront costs are usually limited to two weeks rent in advance and two weeks for the bond.

Rooming houses are required to comply with minimum standards set out by the Victoria government and rooming house lists can be found at your local housing support provider.

Student accommodation and short stays

Together Co-Living Melbourne

Together Co-Living is conveniently located 1.5km away from Melbourne Polytechnic Preston Campus. Rates include all utilities and high-speed internet. Residents have exclusive access to indoor and outdoor facilities, including a state-of-the-art fitness centre, convenient co-working space and heated swimming pool, 24-hour front desk, security, and weekly housekeeping.

Student Village Melbourne




Amber Student Accommodation

Other short-term accommodation options:

Students must be over 18 to stay at these locations.

Bell Motel
2 Patterson St, Preston VIC 3072

Landing Pads Brunswick
13 Blyth St, Brunswick VIC 3056

The Nunnery Accommodation
116 Nicholson St, Fitzroy, Vic 3065

Know your rights

We know that issues can occur with any type of housing that you live in and it can be difficult to know here to go for help. If you’d like to know more about your housing rights, you can explore Tenants Victoria website.

Alternatively, you can speak to the Student Services 1300 635 276 to arrange a time to speak with a Counsellor or Wellbeing Adviser

Looking for extra support? 

Contact or the Student Hub 1300 635 276

Emergency Accommodation Service

Students in need of emergency/crisis accommodation can contact: 


Launch Housing
1800 825 955

Victorian government website

Salvation Army Cross Roads
The Salvation Army - Crossroads Youth & Family Services - T Street | healthdirect