Study plant tissue culture to enhance your current knowledge on plant formation, assist in the continued existence of vital species of plant life and increase your understanding of the structure of plants for personal or career enhancement. Melbourne Polytechnic's Plant Tissue Culture training program will add extra green to your thumb.
Course Code: SOH019
Take your horticultural knowledge a step further
You may already be a professional grower of specialised plants, looking for a much faster and more sterile means of propagating plant material that has been registered with a PBR; or you may be a specialist grower who requires the skills to set up your own tissue culture area to grow plants in the future.
Specialised training to enhance your career
Achieve knowledge in the highly specialised field of plant tissue culture studies and micro-propagation of native and exotic plants to produce vigorous growth. Skills and knowledge gained in this course may lead to you to a career as: plant propagator, horticulture laboratory technician ,botanist, plant nursery assistant/manager
DepartmentHorticulture and Landscaping
Total Hours: 45
- OH&S and introduction to plant tissue culture; the stages of micropropagation.
- Sources of contamination & aseptic techniques.
- Basic botany; micropropagation stage 1.
- Culture media & its components.
- Plant hormones & their effects
- Basic plant nutrients.
- Subculturing; micropropagation stages 2 & 3; discussion of the assignment.
- Micropropagation stage 4.
- Deflasking & the glass house environment.
- Problems in micropropagation.
- Other tissue culture techniques.
- Optimising micropropagation techniques
- Setting up a micropropagion lab; micropropagation at home; course review.
- This program will provide participants with the skills and knowledge to prepare tools, propagation materials and the workspace, use a range of tissue culture propagation techniques, understanding the appropriate growing environment, recording the propagation activities as well as researching plant material.
- Melbourne Polytechnic’s Plant Tissue Culture training program is designed for people who wish to develop or enhance their skills in micro propagation techniques.
No concession or government funding applies
- Cash - paid in person at any campus or a Skills and Jobs Centre
- Credit Card
- Invoice - paid by the company or job agencies