Auslan (Australian Sign Language) is how our friends in the deaf community communicate. Melbourne Polytechnic has a range of courses available to teach you Auslan.
Melbourne Polytechnic has a range of courses available to teach you effective communication with deaf and hearing-impaired children and adults. You’ll learn about the history of the deaf community, culture, Auslan linguistics and communication skills.
We focus on delivering innovative, best-practice, flexible and student-centred courses. Our courses include multi-modal delivery including face-to-face teaching and online and video conferencing. We encourage anyone who wishes to learn Auslan to start with us. These courses are offered at our Prahran campus and also at various regional locations across Victoria.
There are fantastic resources for our deaf community online, including the Auslan Signbank.
Our courses suit:
- Adults aspiring to work with the deaf community as an Auslan interpreter – this course is pre-requisite to interpreter training
- Parents of deaf and hard of hearing children whose children benefit from communicating in Auslan
- Adults who work with deaf and hard of hearing people in the community and want to enhance their everyday communication to provide an inclusive workplace
- Deaf or hard of hearing adults who want to acquire Auslan skills to communicate with deaf people who use Auslan or to enhance their accessibility in the community
- Professionals wanting to provide services to communicate directly with deaf and hard of hearing clients
- Anyone who loves learning a new language
Melbourne Polytechnic is hosting information sessions where you will be able to find out more details on the Auslan courses. Visit the Information and Enrolment page to register your interest.
Phone: 03 9269 8400
|Certificate II in Auslan|
Learn Auslan to communicate with people who are Deaf and hard of hearing. Melbourne Polytechnic’s Certificate II in Auslan is the beginning of the only accredited training pathway to learn Australian Sign Language.
|Certificate III in Auslan|
Build on the Auslan you learnt in the Certificate II with the Certificate III in Auslan. You will begin to consolidate your basic language skills to prepare for the next level Auslan courses. A Certificate III in Auslan will open up more employment opportunities within the Deaf community.
|Certificate IV in Auslan|
Do you want to communicate effectively with the Deaf community? Melbourne Polytechnic offers the only accredited Auslan training. The Certificate IV in Auslan will provide you with advanced Australian sign language skills. Learn Auslan for rewarding career options.
|Diploma of Auslan|
Do you want to bring your Auslan skills to an advanced level? The accredited Diploma of Auslan will help you communicate at an advanced and professional level with Deaf and hard-of hearing people.
Maintained by Web Developer and Administrator, M&CC.
Last Modified: 15th February 2019