Northern Lodge at Eden Park
Melbourne Polytechnic has one of Australia’s finest educational thoroughbred breeding properties. The Northern Lodge Training Centre is a 320-hectare farm located just 40 minutes north of Melbourne in Eden Park in the stunning foothills of Victoria’s Great Dividing Range. Here at the Northern Lodge Training Centre students take part in comprehensive courses in Equine studies and Viticulture courses.
In 1993, the property was acquired by Melbourne Polytechnic. Since then we have transformed the eroded land (worth $450,000 back then) into a valued site worth an excess of $4 million today. The facilities on site include lush pastures, stables, a covering barn, ménage, teasing facilities, a 1400-metre training track and jump out barriers, a sand roll and modern scanning equipment.
- The vineyard spans 10 hectares and was first planted by our students in 1996
- Grape varieties include chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, semillon, riesling, pinot noir, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon and merlot.
- Melbourne Polytechnic celebrated bottling its first vintage in 1998, with many award-winning wines produced here ever since!
Northern Lodge at Yan Yean
Melbourne Polytechnic also runs Yan Yean farm - located just 4 kilometres south of Whittlesea on Plenty Road. This commercially active property provides our students with a complete farm experience. Over 630 hectares, the farm trains students in cattle and sheep production, broad acre farming, pest and weed control, farm maintenance and essential farming activities.
- Modern cattle handling facilities
- State of the art tractors with GPS and tillage equipment
- 270 head beef cattle breeding herd, including Angus and Angus Charolais cross
- 200 crossbred ewes for prime lamb production
Melbourne Polytechnic also maintains the Growling Frog Vineyard at the Growling Frog Golf Course located next to our Yan Yean property.