This course is offered in workshops for three days over two weekends, at Melbourne Polytechnic's training farm at Yan Yean. Completion of the unit of competency AHCMOM202A Operate Tractors will earn you credit towards attaining a nationally recognised qualification in Agriculture (Certificate III).
Course Code: SAH009
This unique short course will provide you with the essentials for using and driving a tractor. The Introduction to Tractors short course is offered in workshops for 3 days over 2 weekends. Classes are held at Melbourne Polytechnic’s fully fitted training farm, at 2005 Plenty Road, Yan Yean.
- introduction to subject and assessment method
- basic description on types of tractors available
- tractors safety including legislation and video
- look over basic components and safety features of tractors
- perform pre-start checks
- routine safety checks
- mechanical hazards
- tractor operation
- attach equipment
- operate tractors in a range of different environments
- selection of equipment to match tractor performance
- attach, reverse and remove a trailed implement fitted with remote hydraulics
- attach, operate and remove a PTO driven implement
- operate a tractor and implement in field conditions
- final tractor assessment
To achieve understanding of the safe operation of tractors in any given situation, with or without attached equipment and the application of skills to safely utilise the various components and controls of tractors.
Resource requirements: Sturdy warm clothing, work boots and a hat.
Course duration and session details: 40 hours
Classes are held at Melbourne Polytechnic’s training farm, Melbourne Polytechnic Northern Lodge Yan Yean.
For any any additional information, please contact a Short Courses and Future Students on 03 9269 8615, or by email.
Course Cancellation or Postponement
Courses with low enrolments may be cancelled or delayed. You will be notified of this 48 hours prior to course commencement.
Students may be eligible for Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.