Sessional teaching roles are available within the Department of Business, Innovation and
Entrepreneurship at Melbourne Polytechnic. We are seeking expressions of interest from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to lecture and conduct tutorials on a sessional basis.
The Lecturers are responsible for providing a high quality teaching and learning experience to students and for making ongoing contributions to the academic mission of the Department. The department offers the Bachelor of Accounting, Bachelor Business and Master of Professional Practicing Accountants.
Subject areas include: Subjects include all accounting related subjects, Business law, Corporations law, taxation law, Economics, applied statistics, Applied research methods, Ethics and Governance, Business inquiry and communication, and Information Technology,
- Preparing and conducting lectures, workshops, small group discussions, oral assessments, and other learning and assessment activities in line with approved subject outline
- Managing the progress of students through their course of study, including maintaining email records and other records of participation, coursework and assessment
- Communicate regularly with the Head of Program and other staff within the department to establish a team environment and consistency in resourcing and delivery strategies.
- In consultation with the Head of Program and other teaching staff implement strategies to support and retain students who are experiencing difficulties with course content.
- Develop, maintain and evaluate student learning programs and associated subject materials relevant to teaching activity.
- Contribute to the administration of the department and teaching programs by: continually maintaining class attendance rolls in compliance with the Institute quality guidelines; develop assessment tasks and the associated material
- Complete assessments and provide academic results in a timely manner
- Maintain currency of the delivery and assessment material
- Coordinate the delivery with other academics in situations where there are more than one academic delivering a subject.
- Continually develop your own teaching methods and practices to apply high quality, innovative learning techniques to create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst students
- Participating in practice area teams to maintain and develop course materials.
- Attend and participate in orientation/induction and other Department meetings. There will be additional payment for these activities.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Attributes
- A tertiary qualification in the area of accounting or a related field
- A master’s degree in a related area or significant work experience
- A doctoral degree is preferred, but not essential, for those teaching in the MPPA program
- Well-developed teaching skills, including the ability to select and use a range of teaching and assessment strategies as determined by student needs and qualifications under Australian Qualifications Framework standards.
- Capacity to plan, schedule and meet agreed deadlines in the completion of teaching duties.
- A current Police Check and Working with Children Check.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the commitment to Occupational Health and Safety, Anti-Discrimination, Quality Assurance and Continuous Improvement.
- Enthusiasm for the development and continual improvement of teaching skills
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in a team
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Awareness of educational technologies including online interaction with students
- Proficiency in use of MS Office, and other classroom technology
Preferred, but not essential:
- Completion of an education program such as Graduate Certificate in Higher Education or Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- Industry experience relevant to the content area and academic level being taught.
- Membership of a recognised accounting professional body such as: Certified Practising Accountant, Australia (CPA) or Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand (CAANZ)
IMPORTANT: All successful applicants must agree to in-class peer review of delivery.
Payment is at the rate of:
Rates are variable based on duties performed. Indicative basic lecture rate $166.51.
To apply please send a CV and expression of interest statement outlining your skills and experience to: ua.ud1553632707e.cin1553632707hcety1553632707lopen1553632707ruobl1553632707em@ri1553632707ahuzu1553632707ges1553632707. Please attach student evaluation of teaching, if available.
For further details please call Dr Segu Zuhair on 9269 1760 or