Mr. Matthew Richmond, foundation Principal of Collingwood Technical School from 1912, retires in 1930. It was a tribute to his accomplishments and the deep affection in which he was held that 434 people attended his farewell function, at which he was presented with a motor car and other gifts, many made by the teachers of the school.
1931: Former footwear factory refurbished to accommodate boot and shoe trades, plumbing and sheet metal at Collingwood.
1934: Development of Collingwood Tech electroplating department initially part of the electrical fitting department, commenced.
1935: Collingwood Tech Junior school enrolment of 788 is the biggest of any metropolitan technical school. Total enrolment 1,769.
1935: Preston Council allocates 6 ½ acres in St Georges Road (then known as Frank Street), valued at £7,000, towards establishing a technical school in Preston; Northcote City Council also donated money.
1937: Federal and state grants made available for Youth Employment Scheme. Classes offered at Collingwood in bricklaying, cabinet-making, electrical fitting, machine shop practice and electroplating.
February 2, 1937: Preston Technical School opens with an initial enrolment of 385 boys and 21 teachers with 3 clerical staff (female) at a cost of £30,000 (Preston Leader 4 Feb, 1937).
Maintained by Web Developer and Administrator, M&CC.
Last Modified: 14th June 2013