Melbourne Polytechnic offers the English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) at all levels from beginner to advanced (English for Academic Purposes). Studies concentrate on speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. Enrol with us and learn practical English for work, study and everyday situations and get off to a great start in your career and life!
Study while you learn English
You will be assessed at commencement of the course and placed in a class appropriate to your needs. Once enrolled you will quickly learn practical English for work, study and everyday situations.
- 5-50 weeks, with a minimum of 5 weeks offered (8 intakes per year – see dates below)
- 4-week Summer School for students commencing Certificate/Diploma/Bachelor courses (see date below)
- Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 5:30pm
- 25 contact hours of English per week (including Computer Assisted Language Learning)
- AU$300 per week
- Please note: the international fee as displayed in the Fees section is charged on a per week basis
To enrol, please apply directly to Melbourne Polytechnic’s International Office.
New enrolments are taken every 5 weeks.
2016 course dates
- 3 October – 4 November
- 7 November – 9 December
2017 course dates
- 3 January – 29 January (4 week summer school customised for students entering mainstream studies)
- 23 January – 24 February
- 27 February – 21 March
- 18 April – 19 May
- 22 May – 23 June
- 10 July – 11 August
- 14 August – 15 September
- 02 October – 03 November
5-50 weeks (8 intakes per year). Minimum 5 weeks. 4-week Summer School for students commencing Certificate/Diploma/Bachelor courses.
Modes of DeliveryClassroom
Entrance RequirementsThere are no entry requirements for this course. Students wishing to sit the IELTS English Language Test may apply to the IELTS Test Centre at Melbourne Polytechnic. For more information, contact a Melbourne Polytechnic Education and Career Advisor (ECA), on 03 9269 8400.
Assessment MethodsAssessment will be based on one or more of the following:
- group/individual oral presentations
MaterialsLists of materials required and book lists are provided at the start of the course.
- Tuition fees per week: $300
Pathways to further studyMove to a more advanced English language course. Commence a formal study program at Melbourne Polytechnic or another institution.