Melbourne Polytechnic offers the English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) at all levels from beginner to advanced (English for Academic Purposes). Studies concentrate on speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. Enrol with us and learn practical English for work, study and everyday situations and get off to a great start in your career and life!
Study while you learn English
You will be assessed at commencement of the course and placed in a class appropriate to your needs. Once enrolled you will quickly learn practical English for work, study and everyday situations.
- 5-50 weeks, with a minimum of 5 weeks offered (9 intakes per year – see dates below)
- Bridging Program for students commencing Certificate/Diploma/Bachelor courses (see date below)
- Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 2pm
- 25 contact hours of English per week (including Computer Assisted Language Learning)
- AU$300 per week
- Please note: the international fee as displayed in the Fees section is charged on a per week basis
To enrol, please apply directly to Melbourne Polytechnic’s International Office.
New enrolments are taken every 5 weeks.
2017 Course Dates
- 3 January – 27 January (4 week summer school customised for students entering mainstream studies)
- 23 January – 24 February
- 27 February – 31 March
- 18 April – 19 May
- 22 May – 23 June
- 10 July – 11 August
- 14 August – 15 September
- 02 October – 03 November
- 06 November – 08 December
2018 Course Dates
General English and English for Further Study Purposes
- 8 January – 9 February
- 12 February – 16 March
- 26 March – 27 April
- 30 April – 1 June
- 11 June – 13 July
- 16 July – 17 August
- 27 August – 28 September
- 1 October – 2 November
- 12 November – 14 December
English Language Bridging Program
- Semester 1 Bridging – 2 January – 2 February
- Semester 2 Bridging – 12 June – 13 July
5-50 weeks (9 intakes per year). Minimum 5 weeks. 4-week Summer School for students commencing Certificate/Diploma/Bachelor courses.
Class Schedule: *
Mon - AM and PM
Tue - AM and PM
Wed - AM and PM
Thu - AM and PM
Fri - AM and PM
*Classes run across these days and times. Detailed timetable information is available from an Education and Career Advisor
Modes of DeliveryClassroom
- Tuition fees per week: $300
Entrance RequirementsThere are no entry requirements for this course. Students wishing to sit the IELTS English Language Test may apply to the IELTS Test Centre at Melbourne Polytechnic. For more information, contact a Melbourne Polytechnic Education and Career Advisor (ECA), on 03 9269 8400.
Assessment MethodsAssessment will be based on one or more of the following:
- group/individual oral presentations
MaterialsLists of materials required and book lists are provided at the start of the course.
Pathways to further studyMove to a more advanced English language course. Commence a formal study program at Melbourne Polytechnic or another institution.