The IELTS Academic Test measures English language proficiency needed for an academic, higher learning environment. The tasks and texts are accessible to all test-takers, irrespective of their subject focus.
Writing (60 minutes)
- Writing task of at least 150 words where the candidate must summarise, describe or explain a table, graph, chart or diagram
- Short essay task of at least 250 words
Reading (60 minutes)
- Three long reading passages with tasks
- Text range from the descriptive and factual to the discursive and analytical
- Includes non-verbal materials such as diagrams, graphs or illustrations
- Texts are authentic (e.g. taken from books, journals and newspapers)
Listening (30 minutes)
- Four recorded monologues and conversations
Speaking (11 to 14 minutes)
- Face-to-face interview
- Includes short questions, speaking at length about a familiar topic and a structured discussion
Maintained by Web Developer and Administrator, M&CC.
Last Modified: July 12, 2015