Increase your career prospects and start training while still at school.
Melbourne Polytechnic’s VETiS (VET in Schools) program enables you to gain practical, industry-related skills by combining your senior school studies with a Vocational Education and Training (VET) program.
- may be undertaken alongside, or as part of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL), or a School Based Apprenticeship/Traineeship (SBAT)
- are approved by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
- are recognised within the Units 1-4 structure of Years 11 and 12
- can contribute towards satisfactory completion of the VCE.
Selected programs offer scored assessment for Units 3 and 4. Credits may also lead to further studies or employment opportunities.
VETiS subjects are delivered from the Certificate II to IV level, although the majority of qualifications are at Certificate II and III levels with partial completion for Certificate IV.
How VETiS works
VETiS can be done in two ways:
- Institution-based (you come to Melbourne Polytechnic once a week), or
- School-based (delivered by your school under Melbourne Polytechnic auspice)
Most VETiS programs take two years to complete and follow the Victorian school term dates, with students generally attending classes at a Melbourne Polytechnic campus one day per week.
VETiS applies competency based assessment although some programs also have an externally set exam.
Why choose Melbourne Polytechnic?
Melbourne Polytechnic has a long-standing reputation for quality training with industry-experienced teachers. We offer modern training facilities and excellent campus services.
What to do next
- Check the list of VETiS courses offered at Melbourne Polytechnic below
- If you see something you’re interested in – speak to your school’s VET Coordinator
- Your school’s VET Coordinator can direct enquiries to Melbourne Polytechnic.
For 2017 we are offering the following VETiS programs:
- Certificate II in Animal Studies
- Certificate II in Building and Construction (Bricklaying), see also Carpentry, Painting and Decorating, and Wall and Ceiling Lining
- Certificate II in Computer Assembly and Repair
- Certificate II in Engineering – Fabrication
- Certificate II in Furniture Making
- Certificate II in Hospitality
- Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
- Certificate II in Landscaping
- Certificate II in Parks and Gardens
- Certificate II in Racing (Stablehand)
- Certificate III in Beauty Services
- Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- Certificate III in Events
- Certificate III in Hairdressing (partial completion)
- Certificate IV in Building Design Drafting (partial completion)
- Certificate IV in Information Technology (partial completion)
- Certificate IV in Interior Decoration
If you’re interested in a Melbourne Polytechnic course not listed above, please contact the department to discuss how we can add it to our VETiS offer.
T: (03) 9269 8400
Maintained by Web Developer and Administrator, M&CC.
Last Modified: October 5, 2016